Ada pradhaman, a favorite dessert among the Malayalees is made using ada with coconut milk and jaggery. Learn how to prepare yummy Ada Pradhaman
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Coconuts – 2
- Jaggery – ½ kg
- Cashews – ¼ cup
- Raisins – ¼ cup
- Cardamom – 6
- Ghee for frying
This method involves making homemade ada. The ada can be also bought from stores.
Preparing the batter for the Ada
- Soak rice for an hour, and then strain well and dry in a piece of cloth for two hours. After that, grind it to fine powder and sieve through a fine sieve.
- Now add 2 teaspoons of melted ghee, 2 tsp of sugar and medium hot water to get the consistency of chapati batter
- Take plantain leaves and cut them into 6″ squares roughly. Hold them on the fire for a few seconds to make them flexible.
- Boil plenty of water in a big broad vessel. Take lime-sized portions of the batter and spread on the back side of the plantain leaves. Immediately drop in the boiling water.
- Do this till all of the batter is used up. When the ada are well cooked, they float.
- Alternately, you can steam them 3 or 4 at a time in a steamer. Remove, strain and scrape out the adas and wash in plenty of water; changing the water three or four times to remove the stickiness. Chop fine.
Preparing Ada Pradhaman
- Grate the coconut and keep ¼ cup of the first milk, 1 ½ cups of the 2nd milk and 2 cups of the 3rd milk ready.
- Heat up a vessel and add ¼ cup of ghee and fry the cooked ada well. Then add the 3rd milk, jaggery and sugar and boil on a medium flame for 10 min.
- Add the 2nd milk and boil for 5 min. Add the first milk and remove at once from the stove; stirring thoroughly. Add 1 tsp of cardamom powder and mix well.
- Add fried cashews and raisins.