Boondi laddus are very tasty and delicious sweet popular in India which is made usually during festive seasons. Learn how to prepare delicious Boondi Laddu.
For the Sugar Syrup
- 1.5 cups sugar
- ¾ cup water
For the Boondi Batter
- 1.5 cups besan/gram flour
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp water or add as required (the amount of water to be added depends on the quality of besan/gram flour)
- 2 pinch of crushed saffron or saffron powder
- 6 cardamoms crushed to powder in a mortar-pestle, about ½ tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp melon seeds
- 2 black cardamoms, seeds kept and the husks discarded
- a pinch of edible camphor (optional)
- ¾ tbsp ghee to be added or ghee for applying on your palms for shaping the ladoos
- oil for deep frying the boondis
Preparing sugar syrup
- Mix sugar and water in a pan. keep the sugar solution on stove top on a low heat.
- Cook the sugar syrup, till you get a one thread consistency. switch off the flame. keep the sugar solution aside.
- The sugar syrup should be hot when you add the boondis. so you can keep the sugar solution on a hot water bath. You can fry the boondis and prepare the sugar solution side by side.
Preparing the Boondis
- Take all the dry ingredients for the boondi batter in a mixing bowl – besan/gram flour & saffron powder.
- Add water to make a smooth batter. the consistency of the batter is important. we will check if the consistency is right, by frying a few boondis.
- Tap the wired whisk or the handle of a spoon which has a bit of batter in to the hot oil. the boondis should have a round shape.
if they become flat, the batter is thin and if they get tail ends, the batter is thick. if thin, then add a bit of gram flour and check by frying a few boondis. if thick, then add a bit of water and then do the same test. once you get the correct consistency, proceed with the next step of frying the boondis.
- Take a dry perforated ladle and place it above the hot oil. don’t keep too much on a height, as the batter droplets, when falling from a height, do not give a round shape.
- With a spoon add some batter on the perforated spoon ladle. Spread the batter lightly with a spoon. finish up the batter on the perforated spoon ladle this way.
- Fry the boondis till they are cooked. don’t make them crisp or over do the frying. when the oil stops sizzling, remove the boondis.
- This step is also important because if boondis becomes crisp then the boondi ladoos won’t be soft and they won’t be able to absorb the sugar syrup.
- After each batch, wipe the perforated ladle with a clean piece of kitchen towel from both sides. Strain them well with a slotted spoon and then add them directly to the hot sugar syrup. fry all the boondis with the above method and then add them to the sugar syrup.
- Finally add a melon seeds (magaz), cardamom powder, black cardamon seeds, ghee and a pinch of edible camphor (optional). ghee helps in binding the boondi ladoos. i added about 1 tbsp of ghee later.
- Mix well and shape the boondi mixture into ladoos
- You can place the boondi ladoos in a small muffin liners. you can also garnish the ladoos with raisins or cashews.