Cochin International Airport which is also called as the Nedumbassery International Airport is the first airport that is owned by the public private partnership. Cochin International Airport was inaugurated by the Indian President in the year 1999. It is located around 30 kms from the Kochi city. There are direct flights from this airport to Middle East and some of the major cities in India.
It is the first airport in our country which is not controlled by the Indian government. This airport was sponsored by the state government with the help of non resident Indians. This airport is owned by the Cochin International Airport Limited (CIAL) which is a public limited company. The board of directors includes NRI’s, political leaders, industrialists, share holders etc. The share holders of CIAL include Federal Bank, Bharat Petroleum, Air India, numerous NRI’s etc.
Nedumbassery Airport has the second longest runway in India with a length of around 3400 m. It has separate terminals for domestic and International journeys. The total area of Domestic Terminal is 1,00,00 square feet and that of International Airport is 1,40,000 square feet. This airport can also handle the huge Airbus A380 which is possible in only a few airports in India.
The domestic terminal has two blocks, one for the arrival and the other for the departure. The people who had come to receive or see off the passengers can purchase a guest ticket in order to enter the terminal. There are about 20 Common User Terminal Equipment check-in counters available. The International terminal also has the arrival and departure blocks. Here there are 37 Common User Terminal Equipment check-in counters available.
Some of the passenger facilities in this airport include Banking and Exchange services, Postal facility, STD and ISD phone facilities, restaurants, free baggage trolleys, duty free shops, pre paid taxi services etc.
There is also a cargo terminal for this airport which is considered to have all the largest facilities in India. There are 3 separate complexes for the same namely Centre for Dry Cargo, Centre for Perishable goods and Transshipment cargo complex. Cochin airport has also a heli-pad for helicopter use.
There are 10 Domestic Airlines that operate in Cochin International Airport which includes
1) Air India (Mumbai, Trivandrum)
2) Air India Express (Calicut, Mumbai, Trivandrum)
3) GoAir (Ahmadabad, Bangalore, Delhi, Mumbai)
4) Indian Airlines (Agatti, Chennai, Delhi, Mumbai, Trivandrum)
5) IndiGo Airlines (Delhi, Hyderabad)
6) Jet Airways (Bangalore, Chennai, Mumbai)
7) JetLite (Delhi, Hyderabad)
8) Kingfisher Airlines (Agatti, Bangalore, Calicut, Chennai, Delhi, Goa, Hyderabad, Mangalore, Mumbai, Trivandrum)
9) Paramount Airways (Chennai, Goa)
10) SpiceJet (Delhi, Mumbai)
The International Airlines include
1) SilkAir (Singapore)
2) Saudi Arabian Airlines (Dammam, Jeddah, Riyadh)
3) Qatar Airways (Doha)
4) Oman Air (Muscat)
5) Kuwait Airways (Kuwait)
6) Indian Airlines (Muscat, Sharjah)
7) Gulf Air (Bahrain)
8) Etihad Airways (Abu Dhabi)
9) Emirates Airline (Dubai)
10) Bahrain Air (Bahrain)
11) Air India Express (Abu Dhabi, Al Ain, Bahrain, Doha, Dubai, Kuwait, Muscat, Salalah, Sharjah)
12) Air India ( Dammam, Jeddah, Riyadh)
13) Air Arabia (Sharjah)
14) Air Asia (Malaysia)
Cochin International Airport Limited
Telephone Numbers: +91- 484 – 2 610115/2611322/2610033
Fax Number: +91 – 484 – 610012