Thiruvananthapuram International Airport is the first airport in Kerala and it is a gateway to this state. This airport is located close to the Shankumugham beach. This is the busiest airport in our state and has over 40 International as well as national flights daily. There are direct flights from Thiruvananthapuram airport to major cities in India such as Chennai, Bangalore, Mumbai, Delhi etc. This airport was established in the year 1932. There are daily International flights to places like Colombo, Sharjah, Abu Dhabi, Dubai etc.
It was after the Independence that the domestic terminal was constructed and started the domestic flights. It was during the later 1970’s and 80’s that the International operations began to function. It was in 1991, that this airport was considered as an International Airport. It was the first one to be upgraded as an International Airport in a city which is not a metropolitan city.
A majority of the people working abroad are in Gulf countries. So, most of the International flights are frying from this airport to the Gulf. At present Kerala is a hot spot for tourist destinations and so the flow of tourists is increasing day by day.
The two main terminals of Thiruvananthapuram airport are the Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. Terminal 1 is meant for domestic flights and the Terminal 2 is for the International flights. The International terminal has 2 gates. As there is a constant increase in the passengers to Kerala, a new terminal called Terminal 3 is under construction to handle them. All modern facilities will be available in the new terminal. This terminal was funded by the Airport Authority of India. This terminal is to have 18 immigration counters, 30 check-in counters and a Common User Terminal Equipment system which enables the passengers to check in from any counter. This terminal is ready for operations but some facilities for the passengers are yet to be completed. Trial runs have already been conducted with airline officials.
Some of the passenger facilities in this airport include duty free shops, snack bar, restaurant, tea and coffee vending machines, STD and ISD phone facilities, rest rooms, post offices, wheel chairs etc.
The Domestic Airlines include
1) Air India (Calicut, Cochin, Mumbai)
2) Air India Express (Calicut, Chennai, Cochin, Mumbai)
3) Indian Airlines (Bangalore, Chennai, Cochin, Delhi, Mumbai, Trichy)
4) Jet Airways (Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi, Mumbai)
5) Kingfisher Airlines (Bangalore, Bhubaneswar, Calicut, Chennai, Cochin, Delhi, Goa, Mangalore, Mumbai)
6) Paramount Airways (Chennai, Goa, Hyderabad)
The International Airlines include
1) Air Arabia (Sharjah)
2) Air India (Dammam, Riyadh)
3) Air India Express (Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Doha, Dubai, Kuala Lumpur, Kuwait, Muscat, Salalah, Sharjah, Singapore)
4) Emirates (Dubai)
5) Etihad Airways (Abu Dhabi)
6) Gulf Air (Bahrain)
7) Indian Airlines (Male, Sharjah)
8) Island Aviation Services (Male)
9) Jet Airways (Muscat)
10) Kuwait Airways (Kuwait)
11) Maldivian (Male)
12) Monarch Airlines (London – charter; seasonal)
13) Oman Air (Muscat)
14) Qatar Airways (Doha)
15) SilkAir (Singapore)
16) Sri Lankan Airlines (Colombo)
17) Thomas Cook Airlines (London – charter; seasonal)
18) Thomson Airways (London – charter; seasonal)
The contact details of Trivandrum International Airport is
Telephone Numbers: +91- 471 – 2501424/2501220/2502323